Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Prayer from Psalm 51

From Daylights (May 24, 2008)
"Dear Father,
On the one hand, I pray this morning for a clean heart, and on the other hand I do not. The reason I don't is because in Christ, I have one already! And the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin. I praise you that you do not even remember my sins anymore. Jesus has taken my sins (past, present and future) and given me in their place the 'righteousness of God. 'Hallelujah!
But on the other hand, I pray for a clean heart, because you and I both know that things lurk there that do not please you. For example, I know my own selfishness, arrogance, laziness, and critical spirit. Take up your whip of cords again, O Lord, and cleanse this 'temple.' Show no mercy to my sinful and depraved flesh. My will power and good intentions are not enough
to cleanse my heart of these things. In matters of justifications, I thank you for my 'clean heart.' In matters of sanctification, I pray again for your provision.
-Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment