Tuesday, January 13, 2009

1. The Lord 2. People

So as most people can figure out by either knowing me personally or checking out my profile, I am a 22 year-old, single, Christian woman who is just finishing up school, starting the ever-depressing job hunt (thanks economy...) and breaking out onto my own and into the "real world."

However, I am learning very quickly that becoming a "real person" isn't all its cracked up to be.
Work = Money = Bills.... sick! But don't get me wrong, this isn't a 'pity me, my life is soooooooo hard' post. It's just an honest reflection of how fleeting my views were of this time in my life. I thought I would have things all together by now (I'm an ambitious person), but sadly, I haven't figured out much of anything.

This is the mindset I had up until about two hours ago.


Over the past few months I have been in a frustrating cycle of ups and downs that left me feeling like a failure or at least some sort of disappointment to myself and others. Until now I didn't realize why...

But after doing some thinking and reading I discovered (almost amusingly) that I was having crazy-unrealistic worldly expectations for myself. I was focusing on things only of this world and of my life here on earth and wasn't at all being concerned about things beyond this life. I was so wrapped up praying about a job, housing, roommate(s), spouse, money and school that I was completely distracted from what really matters in this life.... My relationship with the Lord and other people! Now I'm not saying any of those things are wrong or bad to be praying for, but when they take precedence over the Lord and other people - they become idols...

These two priorities are clearly stated by Jesus in Matthew 22:36-40.
"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Going over this basic concept has already encouraged me this afternoon. I don't need to stress about any of those things right now... Those things will all come as the Lord wills in His time. In Matthew Jesus gives instruction about the future and not stressing out about it. "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own" (Matthew 6:33-34).

No comments:

Post a Comment