Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I love my mom!

As many of you probably heard, my mom had a severe heart attack last week. I don’t think I’ve ever been so scared in my life! On Sunday at about 7:30 in the morning, Chris and I got a phone call from my sister, Kelly, saying that my mom was in the hospital undergoing heart surgery. What a way to wake up in the morning! Like my typical self I immediately starting crying and was unable to compose myself for a good hour or so.

After what seemed like a week, I got an update from my dad. He didn’t know the condition of my mom at the time (really reassuring), but had told me that the night before my mom started having chest pains and had initially thought it was indigestion or the flu…. I wish it would have been just that! After a few hours, the slight chest pain became excruciating pain. It was then my dad realized my mom was having a heart attack. He immediately rushed (at a rate of 120mph) her to the hospital in O’Neill. She then was transported via ambulance to the hospital in Norfolk, NE to have coronary angioplasty. Doctors were able to successfully stent one of her two blocked arteries. She will need to have another procedure in 6-8 weeks to stent the other blockage.

After getting the news about my mom I decided to make the 6 hour drive home immediately. The only problem was that I was a wreck and was in no condition to drive. Even though Chris was supposed to lead worship at church and had work the next day he offered to drop everything to drive me to Nebraska. I’m so thankful he decided to make the trip with me – it would have been a much more painful drive without him by my side.

When we arrived in Nebraska my mom was awake and alert, but very sick as a result of the numerous medications she was given that morning. Chris and I stayed with her for awhile until I was assured that I would see her the next day. We then made our way to my parent’s house in O’Neill where my sister and I took turns taking care of our grandmother (Mommom).

During the week my sister, dad and I made many exhausting trips back and forth from O’Neill to Norfolk to visit mom. She continued to amaze me each day with her attitude about the whole situation. I never heard her complain about anything. She just kept asking how we were doing and if there was anything she could do for us! She’s incredible.

Chris also was amazing throughout the week. He drove me to Nebraska on Sunday, drove back to Des Moines on Monday night so that he could work on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, drove back to Nebraska on Thursday afternoon, spent his birthday on Friday lounging around and listening to me cry and worry and then he stayed with me until Sunday morning when we drove back to Des Moines together.

Overall, the week was emotionally, physically and even spiritually draining. As someone who claims to have a strong faith, I sure was shaken up by all of this. Throughout the week I found myself doubting whether God was in control of the situation and if He even cared at all. Then on Thursday evening, after having a really rough afternoon, my mom called from the hospital and said she had just read Hebrews 11:1 which says, “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” She said that this perfectly summarized a conversation that we had earlier in the day. She reminded me that it is during trials like these that our faith is challenged and we learn more about what really matters. She again reassured me that she was doing okay and we would just have to wait and see what God’s plan was for her long term. My mom is definitely one of those moms that always seem to have the right answer for everything!

I am very thankful for the time I was able to spend with her last week and the rest of my family. I really feel a lot closer to my dad, sisters and Mommom after going through this with them. Also, thanks for the many prayers and words of encouragement throughout the week! I know I didn’t get to respond to a lot of people, but I really appreciated all of the support!!! Please continue to pray that my mom’s heart would heal and that her next procedure would go well! I would love to spend many more years with my momma!

No comments:

Post a Comment