Monday, April 11, 2011

Chipotle

I've always been a fan of Mexican food, but Chris definitely LOVES Mexican food. I really think he could eat it every day with a combination of quesadillas, fajitas, nachos, tacos and his favorite, burritos. Chris' favorite Mexican restaurants include Taco Johns for the cheap, quick and greasy meal; El Rodeo for the nicer, slightly less greasy, sit-down meal and Panchero's for the ridiculously large burrito. However, I prefer Taco Bell, Monterrey and Chipotle for my Mexican cravings, but I have to admit that I've never actually tried Taco Johns or Panchero's.

But regardless of our preferences, Chris and I have been trying to come up with other ways to satisfy our Mexican food cravings without spending lots of money at these restaurants like making quesadillas and fajitas at home. As we were leaving church on Sunday, some friends mentioned going to Chipotle for burritos. Immediately I wanted to go and I knew Chris would be totally for it, but I also thought about the price tag associated with Chipotle. So, I jokingly suggested that we could make our own Chipotle at home. Well Chris took me seriously and so that's exactly what we did!

We were incredibly surprised at how easy and good our version of Chipotle turned out! You have to try them and let me know what you think! I think they taste very similar to the real thing. Chris says they are great, but "there's just something about Chipotle...." haha either way - they sure are tasty! Enjoy!

Chicken "Chipotle" Burritos
1 Large chicken breast
2T Fajita seasoning
4 Small Tomatoes, chopped
1/2 Onion, chopped
2T Fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1/2 tsp Lemon juice
1 can Corn, cooked and drained
1 can Black Beans, cooked and drained
2 cups White rice, cooked
Tortillas (any medium-large size)
Sour cream
Shredded Cheese - optional
Salsa - optional
**Guacamole -optional

1. Coat raw chicken breast with fajita seasoning. Grill until browned (maybe slightly burnt) and cooked through. Chop into small pieces and set aside.
2. Mix tomatoes, onion, cilantro, garlic powder, lemon juice and corn together in bowl and chill in the refrigerator. You may want to drain some of the excess liquid.
3. Warm tortillas in the oven or microwave.
4. Simply pile rice, beans, chicken, salsa/pico de gallo mixture and sour cream onto tortilla and enjoy!

**The Katie Skillman/MaryBeth Meyer recipe for Guacamole. It changes every time we make it (which is quite often), but here is the basic idea...
3 Avocados, very ripe -but not brown, smashed
1/2 Onion, finely chopped
2T Salsa (any brand)
1 tsp.  Fresh garlic, minced
1 tsp. Lime juice
1/4 tsp. salt

p.s. I will have a baby update after our 16-week appointment on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment