Thursday, January 19, 2012

Home Sweet Home

Thanks to the invention of Pinterest, I have become obsessed with cheap DIY projects for around my house. I seriously LOVE that website. While I don't like how much time can fly by while looking at millions of cute things, I have actually been able to do a bunch of the things that I have pinned to my boards. If you don't know what I'm talking about, seriously, just cave in and join Pinterest!

A few of these projects I did even without the help of Pinterest! Before Addison was born, I was looking for valences for my kitchen, but all of the ones I found in stores were just plain ugly - they were all frilly or in floral print. So one day while I was looking at the clearance section at Target, I found a cute table runner and bought some curtain hooks. I simply cut the table runner in half and hung it. I didn't even bother to sew the rough edges (...not that I know how to do that anyways)! Here is how it turned out!



The next project was also before Pinterest and before Addie. When we were getting Addison's room ready, we did quite a few DIY projects including a custom mural (by Katie Skillman), a super cute (and cheap) dresser from Craigslist, curtains and a chair. I posted pictures of everything besides the chair in an earlier post. Chris and I painted the chair off-white and then Brita (my mother-in-law) reupholstered the cushions!


These next couple of projects were from Pinterest. The first was artwork for my bathroom. I just bought some cheap canvas, white paint and doilies and made these!




I was trying to figure out how to put shelving into my bathroom. I didn't want to pay a lot of money for shelves and I couldn't really find any that I liked. On Pinterest, someone had the idea of hanging baskets from rods for storage in a small bathroom. I just adapted this idea and hung baskets as shelves! I love how it turned out! 




And finally, this isn't really a DIY project, but I thought it was cute. I have been looking for a mirror for my living room for a loooooong time now and I finally found one last week. And a huge bonus was that it was 50% off at Hobby Lobby!



I have many more projects and recipes that I would like to try on Pinterest, but so far I am quite pleased with how all of these things have turned out! Some of the projects require me learning new skills such as sewing, crocheting and using a hammer... those may take a little more time to complete! 

1 comment:

  1. You are somethin' else. I had pintrest once, but got rid of it because only girls like it.

    ReplyDelete